One of the oldest streets in the City of Los Angeles, Olvera Street was originally a short lane called Wine or possibly Vine Street.
Renamed in 1877 in honor of the area's first County Judge, Agustin Olvera, who lived there, the area prospered as immigrants, flooded the neighborhood around the Old Plaza.
When the professional heart of the city moved southwards buildings on the street fell into disrepair and both Olvera Street and the area surrounding the Old Plaza became an urban slum.
Olvera Street shop Olvera Streets transition from skid row to popular tourist destination began when Mrs. Christine Sterling, who cherished the Spanish and Mexican heritage of the city and recognized the value of the historic buildings, mobilized other wealthy citizens to rescue the historic Avila Adobe from destruction after it had been condemned by the city.
Postcard: View of the Olvera Street, circa 1930s